As we age, we begin to get wrinkles in our face. Wrinkles can be caused by the movements of the many muscles under the skin in our faces, or they may be caused by permanent indentations in the skin. Common wrinkles caused by the muscles in the face include those in the forehead, between the eyes (“11s”), and around the outside of the eyes (especially seen when smiling). Wrinkles caused by the muscles in the face are amenable to Botox® or Dysport® treatment.
Botox® and Dysport® can also be used to raise the eyebrows (non-surgical brow lift) and to raise the corners of the mouth. These can also be used to dramatically decrease excessive under-arm sweating and excessive sweating from the hands.
Reasons for Considering Botox®/Dysport® Injections
- Wrinkles caused by the muscles in the face
- Sagging eyebrows leading to a tired appearance
- Downturned corners of the mouth (angry appearance)
- Neck bands
- Excessive under arm sweating or excessive hand sweating
Botox® and Dysport® are injectable medications. They are given in the office using very fine needles. You may feel the injections, but they are universally well-tolerated by patients. If necessary, your skin can be numbed using a topical cream prior to Botox®/Dysport® injection. You will need to apply ice to the treated areas right after the procedure for about 5-10 minutes.
- Anesthesia: Typically none, sometimes a topical anesthetic may be applied if necessary
- Length of surgery: 15 to 30 minutes
- Length of stay: Outpatient (home the same day)
Recovery Process and Final Result
- Back to work: Immediately
- Exercise: May be resumed in 24 hours
- Discomfort: Very mild
- Swelling: Very little
- Bruising: May occur, but generally mild. Bruising is unpredictable but very mild if it happens and resolves within a week.
It typically takes 4 to 5 days for the medication to begin working. It may take up to 7 days to see a full effect.