Hair loss can happen in both men and women for many different reasons. Whether from male or female pattern baldness (congenital hair loss) or from skin cancer excision or other traumatic loss, hair restoration surgery can be performed to restore hair to a more natural appearance. Hair restoration for both men and women can produce dramatic yet natural results. Our hair restoration surgeons perform the most state-of-the-art hair restoration procedures, including follicular unit extraction (FUE) and transplantation (FUT).
Reasons for Considering Hair Restoration
- Male pattern hair loss
- Female pattern hair loss
- Hair loss due to cancer excision (even in areas of skin grafts)
- Hair loss due to congenital conditions
- Desire for more hair fullness anywhere on the body
Hair restoration surgery is performed in our state-of-the-art facility. The procedure is done under local and tumescent (dilute numbing solution) anesthetic. Hair can be harvested using either FUE or strip harvest techniques. Our certified technicians then prepare the hair, which is replanted in the desired area in 1 or 2 hair units by our board certified plastic surgeon and hair expert. During your procedure, you will listen to music of your choice, watch a movie, read a book, or take a nap. Dressings will be placed and you will be ready to comfortably go home to recover.
- Anesthesia: Local
- Length of surgery: 1 to 5 hours
- Length of stay: Outpatient (home the same day)
Recovery Process and Final Result
- Back to work: 3 to 7 days
- Exercise: May be resumed in 2 weeks
- Discomfort: Mild (anticipate 2 to 3 days of prescription pain medication)
- Swelling: Mild to moderate; should be gone in 2 to 3 weeks
- Bruising: Common, but should fade 2 weeks following surgery
- Bandages: Minimal
Your newly transplanted hair will grow for a few weeks then shed completely. It will take about 3 to 4 months for the new hair to begin growing again and one year before it reaches maximum thickness.